Friday 9 May 2014

Coconut Oil Toothpaste



Having been on a bit of a health kick recently I thought I'd try making a homemade toothpaste recipe I found. There's lots of bad things in shop bought toothpaste that I tried not to think about too much - until I found this alternative. Little did I know that I would become obsessed with coconut oil. It does EVERYTHING and is good for your insides and outsides.

To make the toothpaste simply mix:

6 tbsp coconut oil
6 tbsp baking soda
25 drops essential oil (eucalyptus is nice and minty)
1 tsp stevia (to sweeten)

And scoop into a jar.

Raw virgin coconut oil is best to use but is solid at room temperature. I placed my mixing bowl in a large pan of warm water to melt it before I added the other ingredients.

Coconut oil and baking soda are naturally whitening and I can honestly say my teeth have never felt so clean.



I put my toothpaste into a nice little jam jar I found for 10p at a bootsale (sadly I am not a jam fan so don't have many jars around). I have a love of Letraset and take any opportunity to label things with it (wonkily).

Here's where I found the original recipe: http://familysponge.com/health/coconut-oil/homemade-toothpaste-coconut-oil

And here's some of the many uses of coconut oil: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/blog/natural-health-tips/using-coconut-oil

No comments:

Post a Comment